[rhn-users] (no subject)

Coen Boef cboef at future-engineers.nl
Mon Apr 5 08:55:43 UTC 2004

Hello everybody,

I ran into a problem with one of our customers networks. We installed a
Redhat 8.0 server a while ago and never updated it since it was behind a
firewall and we did not see why we should fix something which wasn't
broken. On a monday morning I typed 'up2date -u' in the wrong terminal and
didn't bother to look at it before it was too late. The entire system was
updated and started to show some unusual behaviour.

First thing we noticed was that users couldn't log on with Windows XP to
the Samba domain. After a lot of tries they could log on, but they didn't
get all of their shares (especially their home dirs weren't mapped). I
roled the samba install back from 2.2.7 to 2.2.5 and the problem seemed to
be fixed.
After about a week they started calling us again then it sometimes took up
to 20 tries to log on to the domain. After some research I found out that
they didn't receive an IP address from the DHCP server. The log didn't show
that it had been updated by up2date but the problem does seem to exist
since the update. The network works fine with static IP's but the DHCP for
some reason refuses to hand out IP's. /var/log/messages shows incoming
calls (discover/offer/ACK) but the XP clients either never get it, or for
some reason don't use it.

Can somebody please tell me what happend and how I can fix this problem?
It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Coen Boef