[rhn-users] Ethernet card not found with new kernel

Frank fgeck at optonline.net
Tue Aug 3 17:27:42 UTC 2004

I currently have kernel 2.4.21-4EL.  Everything works fine. Overall
problem is that I have been unable to compile the kernel code for that
release.  Downloaded the 2.4.21-17EL and I can compile that version of
the code with 3.2.3 gcc. Only problem now is the ethernet card is not
recognized.

/etc/modules.conf has the alias for etho still.
dmesg has no recording of anything for eth0 for new kernel
cat of /proc/pci finds no ethernet reference
trying to load manually with modprobe or insmod results in not found.
checked the .config files for both.  Except for a few new load able
modules exactly the same.

So what in the world is the problem?  I have a 3com card (c575) that
works on the one kernel version and not the other.  Doc point to use
3c59x driver.  That driver is installed in the /lib/modules directory too.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Frank