[rhn-users] non-ascii caracteres in file name

Corné Beerse cbeerse at lycos.nl
Mon Aug 16 08:35:43 UTC 2004

Fabián E. Barco wrote:

> HI,
> is there a way for to block non ascii caracters (áéíóú,Á,É,ÍÓÚ,ñÑ) in
> file names in samba or linux?

The samba configuration has some settings to force or translate to a "codepage":
which set of 8-bit ascii characters to use. There are ways to force or translate
a "codepag" and find a "codepage" you can live with. See `man smb.conf` for details.

> I don't want that my windows users save file with name with those caracters.

For unix filesystems, there is no way to restrict filenames, As far as I know,
only 2 characters are realy prohibited: ascii-value 0 (0x00) and character `/`:
The first one is used in directories to indicate the end of the directory name
(as in C, the end of a string) and the `/` is used as directory separator. All
other  values (1 to 256) are acceptable. If this is actually usable is an other
point....

CBee