[rhn-users] Linux rescue and ultrium scsi tape restore

Shane Shields shane.shields at erkunttarim.com.tr
Mon Aug 23 11:56:07 UTC 2004

Hi all,

We have a HP proliant server with an ultrium scsi tape backup unit. We want to
do a restore from the ultrium booting from the RHE3 cd under rescue mode.
Unfortunately we can't seem to load the st module with modprobe st and mt -f
/dev/nst0 status reports no device found. Cat /proc/scsi/scsi shows that the
device is recognised but an lsmod doesn't show the st module. I am thinking
that the st module is not included under rescue mode. Can anyone confirm
this? If so how can we access the tape without having to install RHE3? We
want to be able to restore to a blank hard disk without a previously loaded
OS.