[rhn-users] PERC 4/Di and ES 2.1

Ed Voncken edrandom at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 15:45:51 UTC 2004

Hi Devin,

>  I searched the archives on the site, but did not find anything. Here is my problem:
> I cannot get ES 2.1 to load on a Dell 1750 with a LSI/Dell PERC 4/Di. I have tried drivers
> from Redhat, Dell, and LSI, but Anaconda throws the following error during install;
> An error occurred. No valid file systems exist to mount.

I've had the same problems with RHEL 2.1 on Dell PE1750 4D/i.

I fixed this by specifying the following line near the top of my ks.cfg file:

     # Additional driver for Dell PERC 4D/i
     device scsi megaraid_2002

Note: you may need to replace "megaraid_2002" with "megaraid2" if you
are installing a very recent Quarterly update - my RHEL2.1 install is
based on U3.

After installation, you'll see an entry in /etc/modules.conf like this:

     alias scsi_hostadapter megaraid_2002

When up2dating your kernel, you will need to replace that line with

     alias scsi_hostadapter megaraid2

I forgot to do so, and had to boot an older kernel to fix things:

- boot old kernel
- fix /etc/modules.conf
- run mkinitrd for your newly installed kernels
- reboot to new kernel

> I contacted Dell who told they do not support ES 2.1 and to upgrade to ES 3.0.

Quite a strange move by Dell... I get all my support from RedHat, even
for my Dell-obtained licenses (maybe because most entitlements were
obtained directly from RedHat).

HTH. HAND.
--
Gxis!