[rhn-users] Intel or AMD

Todd Warner taw at redhat.com
Sat Dec 18 18:47:52 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Corné Beerse wrote:

> Dominique Demore wrote:
>
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > We are currently in the process of selecting 2 new servers to run new Student Information System. Both systems will be
> > running version 3 (AS). One server will be the Oracle 9i database and the other the Oracle Application Server.
> > My questions is: Since I have the chance of selecting either an Intel Xeon processor or AMD Optron, which should I
> > select. What about the Itaniums?
> >
> > Beside the 64 bit processing of the Optron, are there any other advantages? Any disadvantages?
> >
> > Any thoughts or comments?
>
> I don't expect any advantages from a linux point of view for both.
>
> Check the distro's if one or the other is natively supported, I expect the
> entire distro can be rebuild and optimized for both processors.
>
> Best to check Oracles point of view. I expect the database likes a 64bits
> environment.
>

> CBee

Disclaimer: I'm a Red Hatter, but this comment is not an official Red
Hat statement...  :)

We have a bunch of Opterons in house here for testing and are very
impressed with them. We got them from pogolinux which is a great outfit
that focuses on quality hardware: http://www.pogolinux.com/

I got my last home machine from them (about 2 years ago) as well.
Excellent hardware, excellent service. And they have been around since
1999 so they show some staying power.

I always enjoy plugging those guys.

-taw

--