[rhn-users] RedHat, NFS and RPC failure

Marko Macesic macesic at ptt.yu
Tue Dec 21 08:46:32 UTC 2004

    Greetings,
I have a problem with my RedHat 8.0 on kernel 2.4.18
I've made a local network and I want to share some files over NFS. My LAN is working fine (I tested it with ifconfig, route, ping and netstat). I've set up NFS server by starting NFS service and changing /etc/exports file according to HOWTO_NFS I read. Also on my client machines I've checked for portmaper and rpc.statd which are all started, again accordingly to HOWTO_NFS. Then I appended /etc/fstab with the following line:
192.168.0.1:/directory_name  /mnt/nfs  nfs  rw,hard,intr  0  0
At last I tried to mount that directory on client machine over NFS but I always get this error message:
mount: RPC:Portmapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

How can I resolve this? I've searched man pages for exports, rpc, mount and found nothing similar. Also I've searched bugzilla on RedHat.com and there wasn't reported anything like that. I have only found some similar problems over www.google.com/linux but there wasn't NFS nor mount involved. In those cases some other services posted this RPC error and the only solution was to install and compile new NIS files.

If someone knows the solution please explain to me what can be done. If there isn't any solution because it is some kind of nasty bug please tell me what kernel or services I have to install additionaly so that NFS can work properly.

Thanks,
M. Marko