[rhn-users] Redhat Enterprise Linux WS3 using custom kernel

Rich Graves rcgraves at brandeis.edu
Tue Dec 28 15:59:03 UTC 2004

Scott Pakula wrote:
> After building a vanilla kernel using the 2.4.28 source to take advantage of
> features not included with the standard Redhat kernel such as XFS.  After
> using the new kernel, X windows segmentation faults.  Using the kernel
> provided by Redhat the X windows functions normally.

If you keep the system running, you'll find a lot more problems.
RedHat's kernel has forked quite far from the main tree, including major
features like hugemem, nptl, and audit (2 out of 3 of which actually work).

up2date -u --get-source kernel

rpm -i /var/spool/up2date/kernel*src.rpm

Then read /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/kernel.spec and try adding your patches.

Good luck. You'll need it.

I would recommend instead reevaluating your filesystem (redhat supports
ext3 and reiser) or platform (debian, fedora, and novell/suse support xfs).