[rhn-users] Authentication Failed

Jay Rosener jrosener at jeffersonmemorial.org
Wed Feb 25 22:32:50 UTC 2004

I installed SurgeLDAP on my RH9 box.  I worked with this the better part
of the day with no problems.  After rebooting, the startup script
started the SurgeLDAP service, but then everything after that started
very slowly.  Xserver would not start.

I rebooted in interactive mode and bypassed this service.  Everything
started normally.

When trying to log on as any valid user, includeing root, a box pops up
after entering the password.  It has a stop sign with an X in it and the
message Authentication Failed.

If I Purposly put it a bad password, I get the normal message about a
bad password.

I tried ctl+alt+F1 to get to text mode.  When logging on here the screen
simply blanks out for a fraction of a second and returns to the login:
prompt.  Again, a bad combination of ID and Password gives the normal
bad messages.  Only the "correct" combinations result in the odd behavior.

I tried booting into single user mode and resetting the passwords but
after rebooting back into normal mode, I get the same result.

Anyone got any ideas?