[rhn-users] Best Practice for KS Hostname setting

Andy Ciordia andy.ciordia at pgdc.com
Fri Jul 9 17:25:42 UTC 2004

Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Andy Ciordia wrote:
>

>>Otherwise all I see atm are individual KS's for each machine, but that
>>seems self-defeating of having something rollout across many machines.
>

> You could have a cgi script that fills in the blanks based on
> IP address, e.g.
>
> <http://ks-server.domain.tld/cgi-bin/ks.cgi?type=db&ip=192.168.168.1>
>
> The only problem is that you have to type that on the boot: prompt. :)

Yea, that would be a problem since I'd like to stay out of having to
need to console it if I could.  I'm pondering a %post section that would
query a server and builds the network files and drags them over so after
that first reboot it would have the correct identity.

I'm kind of boggled though, if an admin has a floor of machines and and
wanted to bring them all up from bare metal does everyone just have
2-200 machines that would be named localhost.localdomain?  It would seem
that there is a solution for this.. Of course whenever I think there is
a logical solution, its generally highly illogical ;)

-a

--
Andy Ciordia, Network Engineer
Planned Giving Design Center (www.pgdc.com)