[rhn-users] software raid

Jon Branch jon_branch at email.com
Tue Jul 20 04:25:56 UTC 2004

Hi Matt

If you want to use sofware RAID on Linux I recommend you get "Managing RAID on Linux" by Derek Vadala, published
by O'Reilly.

The easiest way to set up RAID on Linux initially is by doing a clean install. The set up of the RAID devices is
pretty much a point and click operation using the Disk Druid partitioning tool. How to do this is covered in the
Red Hat installation guide.

Please note that RAID 0 does not provide any redundancy; RAID 1 (mirroring) does. Also please note that your /boot
and / partitions need to be RAID 1.

I use Linux RAID on two servers I manage and it works really well. I use the mdadm tool for management rather than
raidtools as I find it better. A word of caution though. Don't totally rely on any RAID array to provide foolproof
protection of your data. I have had the experience, using a hardware RAID controller on a Windows 2000 box, of
having the RAID controller fail and corrupt both hard disks in the mirror (in fact both disks failed at the same
time). So always have another backup somwhere!

Regards

Jon Branch
IT Coordinator - Christian Alliance International School - Hong Kong