[rhn-users] registering a system

Margaret Doll Margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Fri Jun 18 19:12:18 UTC 2004

I am trying to register a system running RH3 Enterprise using
rhn_register.  I already have an account with RedHat, and I have the
rights to five RH 3 Enterprise systems, none of which are registered.

Linux name 2.4.21-15.EL

I enter my account name in the rhn_register form.   The computer name
is picked up correctly without the subnets attached  (name not
name.subnet.subnet.subnet).   In Step 3, the form reads

RedHat Linux version:  ERROR	CPU model:  ERROR
Hostname:		     ERROR	CPU Speed: ERROR
IP Address:		    ERROR	Memory:        ERROR

and the hourglass continues to work.

If I advance to the next windows, the program finds all the rpms on the
system and says it is going to download the information to RedHat.  The
download never progresses.  The bar
does not move.  I don't get a completion.

I have opened port 443 in /etc/sysconfig/iptables;  "telnet
xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com 443" works.

I have restarted rhnsd several times, although I never see rhnsd
running as a daemon.

rhn_register --configure --nox shows

	serverURL:  https://xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com/SMLRPC
	noSSLserverURL:  http://xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com/XMLRPC