[rhn-users] SMB and RH7 / RH9

James Puellmann jp1046 at stl.rural.usda.gov
Tue Jun 29 20:49:21 UTC 2004

You can manually set the speed/duplex of eth0 to 100Full by running "mii-tool -F 100baseTx-FD eth0" but I highly recommend against this - unless you can do the same to the other endpoint (switch/router/gateway - whatever's on the other end of the cat5).

Your NIC is probably autonegotiating to this 10mbit speed based on communications with it's other endpoint. You could force this to 100mbit, but unless you can turn off the autonegotiation on the other endpoint, you'll get errors.

For reasons beyond my own comprehension, "Manual 100mbit-FD" and "Autonegotiated 100mbit-FD" are not the same thing. If one endpoint is set to autonegotiate 100mbit and the other endpoint is _manually_ set to 100mbit, you will get frame errors and your transfer speeds will suffer. Maybe someone else can comment on *why* manual 100mbit and autonegotiated 100mbit are different - I don't get it - but I learned the hard way they don't mix well at all.