[rhn-users] Powerpoint and RH

rhn-users List Readers at Axoria Ltd role.rhn-users at axoria.net
Wed Mar 3 21:59:27 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 21:56, Latif Bouhadji wrote:

> I am using RH linux 7.3 and I was wondering if there is an equivalent
> rpm package as the one for MS powerpoint?

Later versions of RHL / RHEL include Open Office (www.openoffice.org)
which includes a presentation authoring application. Some people use
Crossover Office (www.codeweavers.com) to use Microsoft products in a
Linux environment. There are other options that I can't remember now.
You might try searching on RHN for packages that contain "office" in the
"name or summary" fields.

My preference is to avoid Microsoft wherever possible and then to use
the default Red Hat offerings wherever possible. (My primary goals and
requirements are: dependability (most), and therefore other things like:
security, reliability, compatibility, future-proofing mitigation, and
it's also nice to be open source.)

Open Office 1.1 is out, with some worthwhile improvements I hear, but
last time I looked, Red Hat were not distributing it via RHN in any
channels. It's available on Fedora, and presumably is on its way over to
the RHN channels in due course.

--
Best regards,
James.