[rhn-users] Off-line update

rhn-users List Readers at Axoria Ltd role.rhn-users at axoria.net
Thu Mar 4 18:07:58 UTC 2004

Hi,

Further to my previous comments... The way I do it is to build the
machine on my LAN, which is behind a NAT gateway as well as a typical
firewall. By configuring the NAT gateway and firewall to restrict
traffic to RHN (by IP address) and updating packages before moving the
server to an Internet-facing position.

The point is that being behind NAT, the machine is inaccessible anyway.
It actually can't be directly addressed. So, the only traffic with it is
the outbound-initiated HTTPS traffic with RHN, and that's tied to the IP
Address for what it's worth, too. I feel that this combination is pretty
safe. I can double-check md5sum values on CD's and package sigs if I
want to be doubly careful, but I don't bother.

My feeling is that spoofing the IP successfully, intercepting the HTTPS
channel, trojaning the right packages on the fly, with the need to
subvert the HTTPS encryption and authentication, at just the right time,
is all really quite hard to accomplish, no? So, I would suggest
proposing this scenario to your security people.

I think it would be nice for the list if you could summarise what your
security team feels about this kind of approach -- if I've overlooked
something that they can identify, then that'd be valuable for me and
others, I'm sure.

Cheers!
James.