[rhn-users] Sshd on RH ES 3.0

Allen Wong allen at effcomp.com
Thu Mar 11 22:13:30 UTC 2004

The installation documentation for Oracle 10G recommends that we increase
the maximum number of file descriptors and processes allowed to the user
performing the installation.  To accomplish this, we edited
/etc/security/limits.conf and /etc/pam.d/login.  This works marvelously with
Advanced Server 2.1.  However, with ES Release 3.0, if users log in with
ssh, they are still bound by the (lower) default settings.  To resolve this,
we had to set "UseLogin yes" in sshd_config.  Why is this?  We would
appreciate any suggestions as to the "proper" solution for this.

Thank you,

Allen Wong, Systems Administrator
Efficient Computing, Inc.
Email:     allen at effcomp.com