[rhn-users] RH9 & USB ADSL

Conall O'Brien conall+redhat at conall.net
Wed May 19 23:04:24 UTC 2004

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 10:18:42PM IST, JRH
<v6vitanic at yahoo.co.uk> incoherently babbled:

> I've just installed RH9 ( I bought it back end of
> last year, but never installed it!), as I'm now
> officially a Mandrake refugee! There are one or
> two things I dont particularly like about the new
> release of 10, so I'm giving Red Hat a try.
>
> One question:
>
> I have the Alcatel Speedtouch USB ADSL modem.
> It's showing in the USB devices section as being
> there, but thats about it!

What model SpeedTouch do you have? What colour is it?

These details are important, as there is a silver version of the
SpeedTouch 330, (officially known as the Rev 4.00 version) which has
only working under Linux for a few months now and requires more than
just a wizard to set it up.

In any case, the first step(s) would be to visit the Linux driver sites.

There is two versions: The Kernel Module[1] and the User Programs[2]. To
complicate matters more, they both share the same mailing list. If
your modem is soilver, start going through the list archives for the
keywords "silver and "rev 4.00".

Personally, I use the kernel module with my silver SpeedTouch modem. Of
course, if you'd prefer to skip the technical steps I had to follow,
there's a script[3] that automates the setup of the user program option,
it should be mature my now...

> Any advice would be appreciated on how to get up
> and running, but keep it simple please, as I've
> only been Linux mounted 6 months, and I'm not
> yet that proficient.

Hmmm, something tells me this problem you have will change that... ;)

[1] http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/

[2] http://speedtouch.sf.net/

[3] http://www.speedtouchconf.sf.net/

--

Conall O'Brien

+353 (0)87 9194139 | http://www.conall.net

GPG Key: http://www.conall.net/gpg/

The programmer's national anthem is 'AAAAAAAARRRRGHHHHH!!'.