[rhn-users] importing user accounts

Philippe B. Laval plaval at kennesaw.edu
Tue Nov 2 19:32:56 UTC 2004

I have a machine running an old version of RedHat (7.0).  I want to install
Redhat Linux Enterprise WS 3.0 on it (I understand we cannot upgrade).  This
machine has many user accounts.  I would like to be able to do this without
having the users notice anything.  In particular, I do not want them to have
to reset their passwords.  I know I can save and restore their home
directories.  How do I handle their accounts, in particular their passwords
files (for both Linux and Samba)?  I cannot just copy them.  Is there a
utility to transfer their accounts from RedHat 7.0 to the new version?  I
welcome any suggestions.

P. Laval