[rhn-users] samba in RHEL

Jesse Becker jbecker at northwestern.edu
Thu Nov 18 23:14:14 UTC 2004

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 04:22:24PM -0500, Fabi?n E. Barco wrote:
> can samba in RHEL 3.0 ES be a PDC or DC for windows OS,
> (95,98,98SE,ME,2000,XP)?

"Yes" for Windows NT, Windows 2000 and WinXP Professional.

"NO" for WinXP Home; WinXP Home edition is not capable of domain membership
(this is a limitation of WinXP, not Samba)

For Win95 and 98, they can partially be members of a domain, but they
cannot fully participate.  This is a limitation of Windows 95/98.

I do not recall what restrictions, if any, there are on Windows ME.

This is all very well documented in the Samba documentation:
	http://www.samba.org/

Samba is capable of being a member of an Active Directory domain, but it
cannot, so far as I know, be an AD server.

--
Jesse Becker
GPG-fingerprint: BD00 7AA4 4483 AFCC 82D0  2720 0083 0931 9A2B 06A2