[rhn-users] RPM.

Manuela Lo Bosco lin77sys at yahoo.it
Wed Oct 6 14:46:22 UTC 2004

Hy, I installed for the first time ever Linux Enterprise AS V.3 on three servers: (A) an application server, (B) a database server and (C) a general purpose server, this one used for connecting to RedHat Network and download RPM upgrades.

I successful configured up2date tool on the general purpose server (C) and receive updates on my host. I choose to not install automatically the RPM packages.

Unfortunately there is a big problem: using rpm -F or rpm -i often cause dependency problems forcing me to give more and more rpm command by command line. I also built a shell script trying to do the job automatically. But the database server (B) is on a DMZ, behind a firewall and has installed only a subset of RPMs. The application server (A) too and they haven't an internet connection or X for security reason. Every server has also a particular profile as for type and number of installed RPMs.

So, updating three or more servers (we are planning to expand the number of linux server) is a very difficult and time expensive process.

I thought that upgrading was more simple and that installer resolved every dependency of the package t obe installed.

Could you tell me if there is a tool (Apt I heard) that i can use to solve my problem ? Or a reference where to find documentation ?

I would appreciate an helping hand.

Thanks!