[rhn-users] Kickstart failed for RedHat Enterprise Linux WS v.3 Update 2

xiaoqin_qiu at agilent.com xiaoqin_qiu at agilent.com
Fri Sep 3 21:43:46 UTC 2004

Hi,

I am trying to setup kickstart for RedHat Enterprise Linux WS v.3 Update 2 using NFS installation method. I have done this for RedHat 6.2 to RedHat 9 and RedHat EL WS v.2.1 Update 4 with no problem. However, my setup of WS v.3 update 2 seems doesn't work.

The behavious is that the packages were installed in alphabetic order. The dependencies of the packages were totally ignored. So a lot of packages failed installation and I ended up getting an unbootable machine because kernel failed to be installed too.

The only thing different for WS v.3 is that I created boot CD from isolinux/ directory on the first Easy ISO CD instead of boot floppy.

Since I put in extra RPMs into RPMS directory (I have done that for all previous versions of RedHat), so I ran genhdlist on a ES v.3 machine. It finished with no problem. The comps.xml file didn't have <!-- packages --> section, but I still ran getfullcomps.py to generate package list and put it into comps.xml. (I tried both with and without packages section, and the results were the same.)

I also tried to put --resolvedeps at the end of %packages line in ks.cfg file. And it didn't make any difference either.

Anyone has any idea what the problem and solution are?

Thank you very much for your help!

Xiaoqin Qiu