[rhn-users] ip_forward problem

Raymundo M. Vega rmvega at san.rr.com
Thu Sep 9 19:09:35 UTC 2004

This is a routing problem, routers know nothing about
private/public addresses, they route based on destination
address and best match (if any) in its routing table, it
is true that today a typical router configuration suppress
advertising addresses in the RFC1918, the one missing bellow
is 172.16.0.0/12

i think that what you are seeing, is that once you enable
routing, NAT is disabled because routing happens before
NAT and the Internet gateway you use do not have route
back to your 192.168.0.0/24 network.

Because of this routing issue, it makes little sense to use
the 192.168 address outside you local network, this address will
not be NAT'd and there is no route back to the host using it.

raymundo