[rhn-users] drm: i830_wait_ring lockup error

Lars Cedar redhatmail at naughts.net
Sun Sep 12 10:37:01 UTC 2004

Hello,

I and a few others, based on web searches, have encountered a "drm
i830_wait_ring  lockup error" on boot-up. So far, no answers to this
problem have shown up. So, here goes another attempt at asking if  the
problem has been encountered and solved in any way. See details of the
error below.

I'm running RedHat 9 on a dual boot Celeron laptop. I'm not aware of any
configuration changes I might have made to cause this to happen.

The boot  process will appear to be going normally.

The "login:" prompt appears. Rather than being followed by the gui coming
up, the screen goes blank. After a few seconds, the following error appears:

[drm: i830_wait_ring] *ERROR* space 131056 wanted 131064
[drm: i830_wait_ring] *ERROR* lockup
[drm: i830_wait_ring] *ERROR* space 131048 wanted 131064
[drm: i830_wait_ring] *ERROR* lockup

The screen goes black again. After a few seconds, the above lines are
reprinted on the screen, and a couple more appear:

[drm: i830_wait_ring] *ERROR* space 131040wanted 131064
[drm: i830_wait_ring] *ERROR* lockup
[drm: i830_wait_ring] *ERROR* space 131032 wanted 131064
[drm: i830_wait_ring] *ERROR* lockup

etc.

The lowest number to show up is 131016. After that, the screen goes black
and seems to stay that way. I have to do hard boot.

At one point, I could log in between screen blankings and do some basic
console stuff, but I could not log into a shell from another system on my
network, as I can on my Redhat 8 system which has it's own video/system
bios problems with a KVM switch).

I had been doing regular updates to this system until around September of
03. After that I was off the Internet, and lost my connection to RedHat
support. I'd hate to have to reinstall from my boot CD's.
I did go to rescue mode once, but I have no idea what files to fix or replace.

Please help!  ;-)

Lars