[rhn-users] makewhatis failing after RH AS3, update 3 install

Wehner, Robert Robert.Wehner at McKesson.com
Thu Sep 23 16:25:16 UTC 2004

>Has anyone else noticed their /etc/cron.daily/makewhatis.cron
>failing with messages like this ?

I've seen this before and it turned out to be several corrupt manpages. It
has been a while, but I think I just ran /usr/sbin/makewhatis in verbose
mode to find the corrupt files. Then I copied them in from another similar
system once I confirmed that indeed they could not be uncompressed by any of
the normal utilities.

>/etc/cron.daily/makewhatis.cron:
>

>zcat: stdout: Broken pipe
>
>zcat: stdout: Broken pipe
>
>zcat: stdout: Broken pipe
>
>Not all of my systems are doing it, however the cron scripts are
>identical.
>
>This started happening after we have upgraded our machines to
>Update 3 from Update 2 RedHat AS 3.
>
>Thanks,
>
>-- Donnie

Robert Wehner