[rhn-users] FW: Xconfigurator and X problems on RH 7.1

Mureika, Jonas jmureika at lmu.edu
Sat Sep 25 22:50:50 UTC 2004

I'm having difficulty configuring my old RH 7.1 machine to run X on an even older monitor (Gateway Crystalscan 700).  When I run Xconfigurator, it crashes out trying to configure the mouse:

   Xconfigurator: line 5 unexpected in /etc/sysconfig/mouse

although I don't see anything unusual about that line (DEVICE=/dev/mouse)

Also, when I run startx the monitor goes blank, and then into standby mode.  I tried to hard-code the XF86Config file to match the monitor's refresh rates, but it didn't seem to work.

I've hooked this Linux box up to various different monitors (albeit newer ones than the present one) over the past 3 years, and have never encountered this.  If anyone else has had this problem and knows a good way around it, I would appreciate the help.  Thanks!

--JRM