[rhn-users] up2date problem

Tero Hanninen tero.hanninen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 18:57:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:21:08 +0200, Tero Hanninen
<tero.hanninen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:41:19 +0200, Corné Beerse <cbeerse at lycos.nl> wrote:
> > Tero Hanninen wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm experiencing some problems with up2date and would appreciate some
> > > help. I tried searching the archives but couldn't really find the
> > > solution there.
> >
> > If this is an origional up2date (never updated) then it is most-likely that its
> > signature is outdated. Browse to RedHat and look for an updated up2date for your
> > system. Download it, install it (`rpm -Uvh up2date.....rpm`) and run it to
> > update all others.
>
> The original version gave out a different Traceback (which I
> unfortunately didn't save) so I manually downloaded and installed the
> latest available up2date version (at least for AS) from here:
> https://rhn.redhat.com/help/latest-up2date.pxt
>
> Along with these packages:
> rhn_register-2.9.12-1.2.1AS.i386.rpm
> rhnlib-1.8-6.p15.noarch.rpm
> pyOpenSSL-0.5.1-7.152.i386.rpm
>
> The machine doesn't have Gnome nor X so I thought it would be safe to
> skip the -gnome packages on that page. Perhaps I was wrong assuming
> that? I'd rather not have any X/Gnome packages on the box, if I can
> avoid it..

Duh, managed to solve it now. Apparently we were out of appropriate
Channel Entitlements so the machine didn't register to any base
channnel when I ran rhn_register.
I've now given it a base channel and up2date works as it should.

Thanks for your help and sorry for wasting your time ;-)
Tero