[rhn-users] Error writing on tape

Stephen Kirkpatrick stephenk at olcinc.com
Thu Apr 21 18:50:26 UTC 2005

Eric,

First, ips is the driver for IBM's ServeRAID controller.  Every once in
a while, the reset request will take the tape drive offline.  We have
experienced this problem on a number of systems with ServeRAID cards.
Having a dedicated scsi controller for the tape drive seems to have
eliminated this problem.

Check the following:
    cat /proc/scsi/scsi

output from a system with ServeRAID 6i and dedicated scsi controller for
the tape drive:
    Attached devices:
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
      Vendor: IBM      Model: SERVERAID        Rev: 1.00
      Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 15 Lun: 00
      Vendor: IBM      Model: SERVERAID        Rev: 1.00
      Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 01 Id: 08 Lun: 00
      Vendor: IBM      Model: 02R0980a S320  1 Rev: 1
      Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
      Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: DAT    9SP40-000 Rev: 9100
      Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 03

output from another system with ServeRAID 6i without dedicated scsi
controller for the tape drive:
      Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
        Vendor: IBM      Model: SERVERAID        Rev: 1.00
        Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
      Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 15 Lun: 00
        Vendor: IBM      Model: SERVERAID        Rev: 1.00
        Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
      Host: scsi0 Channel: 01 Id: 08 Lun: 00
        Vendor: IBM      Model: 02R0980a S320  1 Rev: 1
        Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
      Host: scsi0 Channel: 02 Id: 06 Lun: 00
        Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: DAT    9SP40-000 Rev: 9070
        Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 03

Note that the last entry shows the tape drive on the same adapter as the
RAID array.  This generally not recommended.  This is only a problem
when you use the ServeRAID controller instead of the integrated controller.

output from a system with integrated raid controller, no dedicated scsi
controller for tape drive:
    Attached devices:
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
      Vendor: LSILOGIC Model: 1030             Rev: 1000
      Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 08 Lun: 00
      Vendor: IBM      Model: 02R0980a S320  1 Rev: 1
      Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
      Vendor: IBM      Model: DDS Gen5         Rev: A04A
      Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 03

I have spoken with a number of support personnel at IBM about this very
issue.  My conclusion from all of this is if you are going to use the
ServeRAID controller, you will need a separate scsi controller for the
tape drive.

Hope this helps.