[rhn-users] RHN API

Lazarev, Roman Roman.Lazarev at FMR.COM
Mon Dec 5 18:55:40 UTC 2005

Most likely RedHat won't we able to accommodate all of our spur of the
moment API requests, but maybe RedHat is willing to share with us on how
to extend the API and have our own custom routines?

Here's my situation. I use configuration channels extensively. So I
thought of creating an activation key which would have only a config
channel associated with it. Then I can register my system with the key
that has the software channel information, and with another key that has
only the config channel information. The reason that I do it because I
have systems in town A and town B, and then I have multiple rooms at
each site. Each room has a specific configuration file associated with
it. I understand that all keys now must have a software channel
associated with them - this is limiting at the moment.

I would register with rhnreg_ks --activationkey key1,key2

Now since RedHat does not have this type of the key and it will take a
while to throw it in, I looked for API. And it too didn't have such a
function. All it is an update of the database really. I could probably
write something like that myself... if I knew enough about the
internals. I think this capability could give RHN a significant
improvement.

What do you think?

Roman Lazarev
Fidelity Investment Management Technology
245 Summer Street V2E
Boston, MA 02210
(617) 563-1173