[rhn-users] Channel suddenly missing on currently valid subscription?

Michael Durket durket at stanford.edu
Tue Feb 8 18:29:39 UTC 2005

I have a validly subscribed RedHat Enterprise Linux WS 3.0
system (it's not due to expire until May of this year).
Up until the last week, I've been able to run up2date reliably
to get all the current updates. Last week when I attempted to
run up2date, I received the following message:

  "This system may not be updated until it is associated with a channel."

Since I've had occasional problems with RHN losing information about
my systems at random times, rather than getting upset, I logged on to
my RHN account and attempted to change the base channel back to what
the system was registered as. No go - the error message indicated that
I would be exceeding my subscription limit.

What's going on here? Has anybody seen this problem before (RedHat suddenly
losing channel info on a working channel)? Is there a fix?

I'm sorry if this is the wrong list for support issues like these, but for
those of us with no phone/email/web support, it's particularly frustrating
when RHN screws things up and there's no way to get help. If there's another
list which is looked at by the RHN maintainers/tech support people let me
know and I'll repost my problem report there.

Thanks.