[rhn-users] RHN: best practise kernel updates

Doerbeck, Christoph Christoph.Doerbeck at FMR.COM
Thu Feb 10 12:49:44 UTC 2005

With RHN Satellite and/or proxy, you can create custom channels by
cloning
the RedHat channels and manage updates at your own pace.

Another package we have significant problems with is the initscripts.
When it
updates, 3rd party packages like Veritas lose their hooks in
/etc/rc.sysinit.
Has anyone else experienced this and found a clean work around?

Christoph

-----Original Message-----
From: Daryl Field [mailto:djf at pipex.net]
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 6:18 AM
To: Red Hat Network Users List
Subject: [rhn-users] RHN: best practise kernel updates

Hi, I'd like to ask what you all consider to be the best practises when
updating kernels on rhel3 boxes.

We exclude kernel updates via /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date - which I
assume to be the default.

One thing that bothers me - because we do this - every system listed on
the rhn web interface shows that updates are required, red excamation
mark. This means I have to check each group/system to see wether an
actual package is outdated or its just the kernel business. An
inconvenience for sure.

So back to kernel updates - download the rpm manually, -ivh it, then
check grub and /boot seems to be the rh manual approach. I'd be very
interested to know how you all approach this.

Daryl