[rhn-users] force user to change password on first login

Raj Kumar rajkum2002 at rediffmail.com
Wed Feb 16 01:27:51 UTC 2005

Hello,

We have a script to create users accounts and set some default passwords. We want to force the user to change their passwords on their first login. After that, we want to force users to change password for every 90 days. How do I achieve this?

chage -M 90 might force the user to change his password after 90 days from last change. But how do I force the user to change their password on first login? chage -M 0 ?? But after issuing chage -M 0 when i login using ssh i get an error message:

You are required to change your password immediately (password aged)
Your password has expired, the session cannot proceed.
Connection to 192.168.2.4 closed.

Thank you!
Raj