[rhn-users] Install Windows 2003 server on top of Linux ES for dualboot.

Brian T. Brunner brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
Mon Feb 21 14:16:10 UTC 2005

Windows (all version) cannot read or write Linux file system partition types,
except in a catastrophic-loss mode (resistance is futile, you will be over-written).

Windows, therefore, needs its own partition on the hard drive.

Suggestion, get another hard-drive (40GB is roughly $40) and put windows on
the new drive.  This would allow you to put windows on a portion of the new
drive, then move the linux partitions to the rest of this new drive, allowing you
to continue only having one drive if that is necessary.

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
(610)796-5838

>>> cheekin at chronos.com.my 02/20/05 09:55PM >>>
Hi there,

Is there anyone can tell me the best way to install a windows 2003 server on an existing Linux Enterprise ES? My
system consists of only one hard-disk with 45 GB free space.

I understand that for dual-boot windows and linux, the easy way out is to install windows first and linux next. But if i need to install windows on a pre-install linux, what will be my alternative? The windows 2003 installation CD keep refuse to install because it complain cannot found a windows partition although i try to install it on  my free space. My linux is made up of a few partition for /tmp, /home, /usr, /var etc. Do i need to delete these partition to make way for windows, but i don't want to lost my existing linux either.

Please help me.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

www.hubbell.com - Hubbell Incorporated