[rhn-users] New RHEL-AS-4

Michael Weber mweber at alliednational.com
Mon Feb 21 15:41:02 UTC 2005

Welcome to the wonderful world of Dell!

I have many Dell servers running Red Hat, and the problems you are
sharing aren't very unique, I'm afraid.  This is one of the reasons I
switched to buying IBM and HP servers for my production needs.  The Dell
hardware simply stinks.  Their Linux support is worse, and when you
finally get it running, you will discover that the speed of the Dell
RAID cards is 10% or less of what you expect.

Just wait until you need to know if one of your hard drives is about to
blow up.  Dell's Open Manage software is almost useless.

</rant>  </rave>

The Dell servers we bought were a couple of hundred dollars cheaper
than the same specs on the IBM servers we replaced them with.  :-)

-Michael

>>> Geoff.Sweet at wildtangent.com 02/17 7:03 PM >>>
I am going to have to assume that there must be bigger problems with
the
aic79xx driver.  We are still waiting for a kernel fix that resolves a
kernel panic that occurs on our Dell servers.  It occurs when this
driver loads.  So far RH tech support can only tell us to build a
custom
ram image using older drivers and wait for the next kernel release.
So
far 2 kernel releases have not resolved the issue (granted one of them
was a very minor release).  If there are going to continue to be
unexplainable issues with this driver, I am going to have to re-think
using RH.

What kills me, and no one can answer me this; two machines with
identical images (via ghost), one will have the kernel panic, the
other
won't.  It is very inconsistent.

Geoff Sweet
Internet Operations Engineer