[rhn-users] microcode_ctl and RedHat WS V4

Robert Benites benites at cs.unca.edu
Thu Feb 24 20:13:43 UTC 2005

I hope this is the appropriate forum to ask this question. If not,
very much appreciate it if someone could please point me to the proper
venue.

We have been running RedHat EL/WS V3 for some time now and recently I
upgraded one of our workstations to V4.

At first I did an upgrade install. After the install completed and I
was rebooting the machine, the startup script:

    /etc/rc?.d/S*microcode_ctl

failed because a directory the script checks for: /dev/cpu/* was
gone. I looked on one of our V3 systems an that directory exists.

Because of some other problems, I did a fresh install and now when I
check there was no "start" soft-link to /etc/init.d/microcode_ctl
created. So, even though there is a file /etc/firmware/microcode.dat,
there is no corresponding start script in /etc/rc?.d/S??microcode_ctl
script to load that file. There's also no /dev/cpu which the script
checks for immediately.

What happened between V3 and V4?

Thanks!

-- Bob