[rhn-users] Postfix + Maildir + IMAP/POP3

Lloyd H. Meinholz lloyd.meinholz at bmpcoe.org
Fri Feb 25 15:30:07 UTC 2005

With RHEL3, only UW-IMAP (no maildir) is supported. With RHEL4, Dovecot
and Cyrus are supported. So if you want IMAP and maildir with RHEL3, you
are going to have to build your own and it won't be supported by RH. I
don't think this is the end of the world though. I have done this and
I'm sure many others have also and it has worked well.

If you are planning to migrate to RHEL4 someday and if you don't have an
IMAP server preference and if RH support is important to you, I would
suggest Dovecot. I've heard Cyrus was a pain to configure (although I've
never used it). I have used Courier in the past and liked it, but
decided to go with Dovecot because it seems to have a cleaner design to
me and RH is supporting it in RHEL4. Courier has a very slick way to
create RPM's from the source tarball that makes it very easy to use on
any RHEL system, so it may still be worth considering.

Lloyd