[rhn-users] RHEL3 ES- NFSSVC_MAXBLKSIZE

Raj Kumar rajkum2002 at rediffmail.com
Thu Jan 13 00:03:57 UTC 2005

I found some ways to verify answers myself. I'm posting it in the hope it will be useful to others:

If the server doesn't support TCP, the mount command from client fails.

mount -o tcp hostname:/mnt/dir /mnt/dir1

this will fail with an error message.

Some versions of the kernel doesn't have the support for NFS over TCP compiled into the kernel. Support can be added by custom building a kernel. I used "make xconfig" to edit the configuration file used to build the kernel. In the main menu choose File systems, then Network File Systems and then select "y" for the option "Provide NFS server over TCP support (Experimental)"

After building the kernel, issue mount -o tcp from NFS client to use NFS over tcp. To verify if the client is indeed using TCP check the /proc file system.

cat /proc/nfsd-pid/mounts

to find nfsd-pid:
ps -aux | grep nfsd

Hope this helps!