[rhn-users] Re: rhnsd daemon update

nathan r. hruby nhruby at uga.edu
Wed Jan 19 17:27:10 UTC 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Jesse Becker wrote:

>> If the system in question has the "Auto Errata Update" Property set in the
>> RHN website (Systems -> your.host.tld -> Details -> Properties) then your
>> box will auto update, **because the Satellite will tell it to do so.**
>
> Right, now will this apply all updates (critical and feature/bugfix
> releases), or just critical updates?

I would think all of them.  We don't use the auto update feature, so I
couldn't tell you.

>>> You're probably better off just running up2date from cron anyway. :-/
>>
>> Err... Considering that updates have a slight tendency to break things,
>> I'd be super careful about doing this on a system without very good and
>> reliable backups :)
>
> I'd be just as careful about expecting rhnsd to keep boxes freshly updated,
> when it gets stuck and/or dies randomly.  And yes, I do have good and
> reliable backups. ;-)

I asked before, why do you think that rhnsd dies/sticks?  What behavior
have you seen or evidence that you have supports it is rhnsd that is the
problem?  Have you submitted a bug to bugzilla.redhat.com about it (if so
what's the bug number)?  Have you opened a support ticket with Red Hat
Support?

I say this because I have many dozens of boxes that run rhnsd and have
never had a problem with it.  OTOH, the RHN website (both hosted and
satellite) has some serious caching issues (or something, I have not had
the time to track it down and have been poo-poo'ed by support in the past
about it) that causes Erratta to be incorrectly reported for a machine
until such time as you do a package refresh for said machine.  Perhaps
this is what you attribute to rhnsd being "stuck"?

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby at uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free