[rhn-users] Adjusting swap space

Duane Christensen dc at sphosp.com
Fri Jan 21 17:03:26 UTC 2005

I had a similar situation occur on a recent build, and the problem was
the swap partition was defined in fstab as being on a dev that didn't
exist.  Made the change to pint to the correct dev and all was good.

Just a thought.

Eric Van Steenbergen wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> For some bizar reason swap space on one of our servers is set to 0.
>

> [root at RHESPIRSCH etc]# free
>
>              total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached

> Mem:       1538852     227156    1311696          0      16948
99108

> -/+ buffers/cache:     111100    1427752
>
> Swap:            0          0          0

Should be no problem, the system has about 1/3-rd of its core memory
free.
However, if there is swap, some pages can be swapped away to gain space
for
buffers and/or cache.

If you encounter problems and need (more) swap, just set it on with
`swapon`.
For example: `swapon -a` for all swapspace configured in "/etc/fstab".

If there is none configured, follow the swapon documentation (try `man
swapon`)
to configure either a swap partition (best) or a swapfile (for
temporary swap).

btw: swap space can be max 2 GByte on a 32-bit system, I don't know how
about
64bits systems.

My swap line in /etc/fstab:
/dev/sda3	none	swap	sw	0 0
which makes the 3rd partition a swap partition. You can have more swap

partitions, preferably all on different disks.

> On another server we have here with the same OS output is:
>

> [root at rhbelgium root]# ls
>
> anaconda-ks.cfg  ck.bash_profile  install.log  install.log.syslog
lic.txt

> [root at rhbelgium root]# free
>
>              total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached

> Mem:       1025344    1003320      22024          0     227088
401564

> -/+ buffers/cache:     374668     650676
>
> Swap:      2338808      34944    2303864
>

> Can anyone tell me what has gone wrong and what I can do/use to
adjust
> the swap space so that is back to normal? When I try to upgrade I get

> the error that the system cannot access the rootvg/swap and the only

> thing I can do is reboot. I checked /etc/fstab and they are
identical.

It is realy possible that `swapon -a` is somehow missed during boot.
Just do it
now and see the messages.

CBee