[rhn-users] problem with usb device

Marko Macesic macesic at ptt.yu
Wed Jan 26 00:13:59 UTC 2005

I have a problem with one USB flash hdd drive 256MB by PQI.
I tried it on Fedora Core 2 original kernel (I think that it's mark is 2.6.5-1.358), system detect it and makes /mnt/flash directory but when I try to mount /dev/sda1 I receive an error:
can't read superblock.

After that I run up2date and updated kernel to version (2.6.10-FC2 or something like that) but when I boot the computer with that new kernel and try to mount the same usb device I receive a different error:
can't mount it is not a valid block device.

Obviusly with new kernel it's even worse, cause the system doesn't recognize the device.

Does anybody know how to make this work? Is there are any drivers for usb devices that could help? Is there an error in hotplug, usbdevfs or any other related services?

I apologize cause I couldn't recall the exact kernel versions but I'm not writing this from that computer.
Thank you for your help.
M. Marko