[rhn-users] RHEL AS21 or AS3: is it safe to use swapoff on a live box?

Doerbeck, Christoph Christoph.Doerbeck at FMR.COM
Thu Jan 27 18:59:32 UTC 2005

Pretty simple question:

Is it safe to run swapoff on a running box and expect a swap file to
flush and relocate to other swapfiles?

Over time, we've had a number of systems which had small swap files
added to relieve an immediate problem.  Now we would like to simply
create a larger default swapfile and offline the smaller ones.
Ideally we would prefer not to shutdown/reboot the servers.  All boxes
are either AS21 or AS3...

Thoughts?

Christoph