[rhn-users] Adding recycle configuration to smb.conf disables Samba GUI

Liz Ackerman lackerman at meritalberta.com
Mon Jul 4 22:25:04 UTC 2005

When I add these lines:

vfs object = recycle:recycle

recycle:repository = .deleted

recycle:keeptree = Yes

recycle:touch = Yes

recycle:versions = No

to a share in my smb.conf, moving deleted files to a hidden recycle folder
works fine.  However the link to /usr/bin/redhat-config-samba on my Startx
desktop doesn't work after that.  If I edit smb.conf and comment out those
lines, I can launch the GUI, then re-edit the smb.conf and uncomment the
lines, the GUI continues to work fine.  I just can't start it again if I
close the application.

Is this an unreported "feature", a fixed feature, or just something special
about my setup??

Running RedHat ES 3.0 on a Dell Intel box with Samba 3.0.14.  Everything
else works fine.

Liz