[rhn-users] RHN downtime

Chester R. Hosey Chester.Hosey at gianteagle.com
Fri Jul 29 14:24:34 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 09:28 -0400, Clifford Perry wrote:
> Hosey, Chester wrote:
>
> > So I'm in the middle of installing RHEL Desktop 4u1 on my supervisor's
> > supervisor's desktop, when I find out that RHN is down and I can't
> > register the machine. Apparently setting up some form of redundancy or
> > doing any sort of QA on RHN would hurt Satellite sales, so for us mere
> > users it's the sort of reliability I'd expect out of a Dodge Neon with
> > a slipping transmission and blown head gasket.
> >
> > RHN was sloooow yesterday, broken today. Judging from limited past
> > experience and the rhn-outage mailing list this is the sort of service
> > Red Hat considers to be good enough. Fortunately for them, given
> > recent events I can't appropriately make a trite "We can send a man to
> > the moon, but we can't…" comment.
> >
> > Of course this doesn't reflect the opinion of my employer. I'm sure
> > that the RHN outage made me look much worse than it does Red Hat.
> >

> Since this was not a scheduled outage event a notice was posted to the
> rhn-outage-list yesterday. This was after a review of what happened had
> been completed. As such there is also now a scheduled outage window for
> Friday night (tonight).
>
> For more details, see :
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhn-outage-list/2005-July/msg00000.html
>
> Regards,
> Clifford.

I'm on rhn-outage as well, but having Red Hat tell me that they sort of
fixed the problem and will have to take their systems down for five
hours while they scratch their heads about it tonight doesn't make me
feel any less disappointed with an unreliable product and vague
justifications.

I do appreciate the response.

Chet