[rhn-users] Promise TX4200 Drivers

Doerbeck, Christoph Christoph.Doerbeck at FMR.COM
Wed Jun 1 14:04:35 UTC 2005

IMHO .... on the promise raid mess ...

The RAID implementation of promise cards is a software solution, no
different than
the LINUX native RAID stuff...  You're not getting any hardware RAID
computation
offload.  The only advantage of using the promise stuff is that when the
system boots,
the BIOS can play some games to determine if a disk is dead and
automatically boot
the alternate disk.

Please correct me if I'm wrong... The last time I looked at promise was
a while
ago.

I chose to turn off the RAID features and simply use the device as a
normal disk interface (using Linux RAID instead).  Now I am not
dependant
on kernel updates and driver compatibility.  That's a BIG deal in my
opinion.

Are my opinions/impressions of the Promise stuff out of line?

Christoph