[rhn-users] nfs limit on tarred files?

Doctor Khumalo doctortechie at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 7 20:19:44 UTC 2005

Hi there -

I'm having problem with NFS mounts. This occurs in all flavors of Red Hat.
Here is what happens:

I have an nfs mount from a server(python:/backup) to a  directory called
/backup on my local server, monty. After installing RHEL 4 on monty, I mount
the nfs server(python:/backup) and then try to copy over tarred directories
from the newly mounted /backup. The directory is 34 GB and is tarred into a
single .tar file. When I try to untar the directory/files to the /
partition, it freezes and stops copying files ove. Here's what I do

cd /
tar -xf /backups/files.tar

Any idea if there is a size limit to untarring files on an NFS mount?