[rhn-users] pagecache

Doctor Khumalo doctortechie at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 9 19:41:36 UTC 2005

What are you using this machine for? If it's something that's intensely I/O
related (check top and see if kswapd is being sucked up) then you should
probably set it higher.

vm.pagecache=10 25 50

This will lower the pagecache max to conserve low memory. Just to let you
know that RHEL3 has a major problem with the bounce-buffering phenomenon. I
had this problem when running an scp process between two servers across the
same Gigabit network link. The process was copying over 600 GB of data (ove
ra hundred thousand files) and the whole process took FOUR DAYS! I tried to
get Red Hat to fess up to the problem but they denied it. In the end, the
next kernel up2date solved the problem.

If you want, I can attach the RHEL virtual memory manual. It's very helpful.