[rhn-users] Package installer

Trice, Jim jtrice at haastcm.com
Tue Jun 28 19:29:02 UTC 2005

Dennis,
   What I do is set up my own yum repository. I set up apache on one linux
box. Copy all the rpm files from the latest base distribution into the "base"
directory and copy any update rpm files into the update directory. Run
"createrepo ./" from http://linux.duke.edu/projects/metadata/generate/ in
each of the directories to generate the metadata. Install yum on each of the
linux clients and point the /etc/yum.conf to my apache server. I can either
run "yum update" periodically or manually. (note the only trick to compiling
yum was to "make DESTDIR=/") This gives me the flexibility I need. I can
create more than one repo if I want to test things on development boxes
before putting into production or I can leave out rpms that I know cause
trouble. For example, the latest apache update caused problems for my tomcat
servers so I just leave the httpd update rpm out of my repo.
    Download yum sources from
http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/download/2.2/.
Jim Trice

Behalf Of Trice Dennis D