[rhn-users] which OS level

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 16:15:19 UTC 2005

On 6/29/05, cbeerse at gmail.com <cbeerse at gmail.com> wrote:
> Arnett, Ron wrote:
>
> > How about more /etc/redhat-release
> > Ron
>
> Roughly the same, `rpm -ql redhat-release` says /etc/redhat-release (and the
> /etc/issue* files) come from that package.

Roughly but the original question asked about the update level, which
is explicitly stated in /etc/redhat-release in RHEL3 and RHEL4. I
don't see how you extract the update level from doing rpm -q or its
variations on the redhat-release package. Perhaps it is hidden in
there somewhere, but I don't see it. I think it is pretty hard to
improve on looking in a one line file that contains the information
requested.

BTW: how can this be determined on RHEL2.1? /etc/redhat-release does
not contain the update level there ...

John