[rhn-users] Blocking Telnet

Preston, Gabriel GPreston at concordefs.com
Mon Mar 7 13:45:33 UTC 2005

This request sounds really familiar, I think someone asked this same
question just a little while ago but I can't seem to find the thread for
that discussion... anyways.

If you want to block any incoming traffic from outside your network to that
port, block all incoming connections on port 25.  As for inside your
network, a software based firewall on the server can be setup to block all
incoming connections on port 25.  These are ways to block access.

Depending on your mail server, you can also set it up to disallow any
relaying and only permit access from certain IPs, or from authenticated
users.

I guess what it all comes down to though is... What reasons exactly are you
trying to block/secure this from telnet for?

If you are just simply trying to block telnet and not people from
receiving/sending their email through the server, that can't be done.  Your
mail server doesn't recognize the difference between a telnet session and a
mail client.

Sorry if these seems somewhat disjointed.  It is early on a Monday morning
and I'm not fully functional yet.

-gabriel