[rhn-users] password file- max length of full name field

cbeerse at gmail.com cbeerse at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 12:47:58 UTC 2005

Raj Kumar wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Does one know what's the maximum length of the full name of user field
> in /etc/password file. We want to store additional information of the
> user like their email address, phone number etc. Can someone tell how
> they store such information relevant to the user?

I don't think think there is a hard restriction on the size of the gcos field. I
do know it is alreay used for more than just the name. It has official (sub-)
separators and sub-fields. I recall by head it is for both location and/or
phone-number.

As for the email-address that should not be needed since it follows from the
account and the machine-name and/or domainname. The mail to
<accountname>@<machinename> and <accountname>@<domainname> and
<accountname>@<machinename>.<domanname> should already be handled: the first and
last at the machine at hand (proper aliases file), the other at the domains
mx-machine for the domain.

CBee