[rhn-users] create icons on gnome desktop for all users

Raj Kumar rajkum2002 at rediffmail.com
Mon Mar 14 19:20:36 UTC 2005

Hello everyone,

We want to put a shortcut to a custom application on all user's desktop (new and old). How do I do it?
I created new file /etc/ske/.gnome-desktop/test -- modified version of Trash desktop entry-- and then created new user.
this desktop file "test" appeared in .gnome-desktop in user's homedirectory. But when I logged in using X session the file disappeared from .gnome-dekstop; it therefore didn't appear on user's desktop.

Gnome seems to be checking some parameters file to check if the user is logging in *first* time and then create new directories including .gnome-desktop... so the files I put in /etc/skel/.gnome-desktop disappear....

Can someone tell me how to create new shortcuts on user's desktop when a user is created!

I am reading this manual that says use "preferences-all-users:///" in nautilus to modify it. But the error message is invalid location:

http://www.gnome.org/learn/admin-guide/2.2/ch02s02.html

I seem to be missing something. Any help?

Thank you!!
Raj